How We Collect Information
Zygon® may collect personal information on you in the following ways:
(1) directly from your verbal, written or digital input;
(2) indirectly via the websites of our publishing agent (currently Wiley) and our online submission system (currently Manuscript Central).
(3) We also may access and register publicly available information, such as information from websites of universities that provides us with information on professional title, area of expertise and contact information.
Information We Collect
The types of personal information that Zygon® might collect from you may include:
• Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
• Professional academic interests, such as area of expertise and of competence;
• Manuscripts of articles and book reviews, whether under review, published, or rejected, and correspondence related to such manuscripts;
• Reviews (evaluations) of submitted articles;
• Comments, proposals, feedback, posts and other content you provide to us;
Use of Your Information
Zygon® may use your personal information in the process of selecting papers for its scholarly, peer reviewed journal and for producing, distributing and advertising this journal. In addition, we may use your information to analyze our operations. If used for another purpose, you will be notified in advance.
Articles published are expected to remain available for an indefinite period, with the personal information (name, contact, acknowledgments) you provided therein. Contact information of reviewers and authors, with their area of expertise and their history with Zygon® (submissions, reviews) will be retained as long as there is no reason not to expect future submissions or invitations to review. Otherwise, personal information will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that, unless information must be retained for legal or archival purposes, such personal information will be securely destroyed, put beyond use or erased from Zygon®’s systems when it is no longer required or, where applicable, following a request from you to destroy or erase your personal information.
Disclosure and Sharing of Your Information
Zygon® will not disclose to or share your personal information with any unaffiliated third party unless
• Where necessary in connection with services provided by third parties that serve our processes of production and distribution of the journal such as Wiley, Manuscript Central, and Wiley Author Services;
• Where Zygon® is required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities and government agencies, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; to comply with a subpoena or other legal process; when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, to enforce our Terms of Service, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our services, users or others; and to investigate fraud; and
• Where all or substantially all of the business or assets of Zygon® relating to our services are sold, assigned, or transferred to another entity.
Cross Border Transfers
Zygon® may transfer your personal information outside of your country of residence, outside the country where our office is, and outside the country where the editor resides, when that facilitates the peer review process, the production process, or the distribution and visibility of the journal, and when needed to satisfy reporting requirements.
We will use appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect your data. Access to your data will be restricted to those who need to know that information to perform their function.
You have the right to make a request in writing or by e-mail (by emailing to email@example.com) to be informed whether or not we hold or process any of your personal information). In your request, you may:
• Request that we provide you with details of your personal information that we possess, the purpose for which it is processed, the recipients of such information, the existence of any automated decision making involving your personal information, and what transfer safeguards we have in place;
• Request that we rectify any errors in your personal information;
• Request that we delete your personal information in full or in part if our continued processing of such information is not justified;
• Request that we transfer your personal information to a third party; and
• Object to processing for purposes of scientific, historical research and statistics.
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes, nor disclose your information to any third parties, unless we have your prior consent. If at any point you wish to review or change your preferences you can indicate so by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.